Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Horsing Around in the Animal World

I was on horseback yesterday for a couple of hours, taking my fifth riding lesson. Here I am a grandmother (I do try to stay in shape), learning how to officially ride a horse. It's been a lifelong dream, fostered before I ever started school back in the 1950s. I saw each summer a herd of about 20 horses that grazed and nuzzled each other on open land, surrounded by billowing trees across from my uncle's cottage, located on the Fox River in Illinois. I'd stare at them for hours. To me, they were such majestic, magnificent-looking creatures. If I'd had my way, I'd have grown up on a horse ranch in Arizona instead of on the concrete sidewalks of Chicago. The site of those steeds got into my blood, and finally, I have a chance to get to know the animal and feel what it's like to groom one, saddle it up, and ride. I don't even mind picking the crud out of their hooves with the grooming tools.

Which brings me to one of the books I carry in the fall line-up at my books fairs, "Spirit of the Horse," by Bob Langrish and Nicola Jane Swinney, published by Paragon Publishing. The photography is artistic and portrays the animals in the wild and from around the world. Chapters cover horses on film, Arabian horses, Iberian horses, those from Europe, of the Americas, ponies of the world, foals and heavy horses. Two-page spreads in the 10" x 12-1/2" book size are beautiful, while Swinney's prose is informative and thorough. Given that our prices are 30% to 70% below publisher's prices, this 257-page book is a bargain at $14.99.

It's an interesting fact that many children's books are written about animals. There are books about rabbits and lightning bugs, kittens and puppies. And bears -- bears are big (no pun intended). New books released for Christmas are bear stories that hope to appeal to parents as gifts for children. A new title published by Margaret K. McElderry Books/Simon and Schuster is "Bear Stays Up for Christmas." It is written by Karma Wilson and illustrated by Jane Chapman. It's a cute story about a bear's friends who are determined to keep him awake for Christmas, helping him to fight his natural desire to hibernate by stringing popcorn on the Christmas tree, baking cookies, wrapping presents, and more.

"I've Seen Santa" is also about bears. Little Bear doesn't want to go to sleep, but tries to stay up to see Santa arrive on Christmas Eve. He discovers Big Bear, his father, eating Santa's blueberry pie. Little Bear is tucked back into bed, snuggling up to Big Bear, only to hear noises downstairs. The pair find Mommy Bear messing with the stockings hung from the mantle, and they all decide to sleep downstairs to see Santa. The book is written by David Bedrod, illustrated by Tim Warnes, and published by Little Tiger Press...and there's another animal for you!

"Snuggle Up, Little One--A Treasury of Bedtime Stories," features mice, lions, tigers, chickens, cows, rabbits, a bush baby--and of course--bears. This version is a padded hardcover, 171 pages, with 6 different bedtime stories. Its navy blue cover is softened by a beautiful illustration of a tan mother bear carrying her baby bear-child, snuggled in a red blanket. They walk in a darkened forest in the background, and human-like expressions of love between parent and child indicate the tenderness that the stories inside are sure to portray. The book retails for $29.99, but the book fair price is $12.99.

If these titles intrigue you, click on the link to Books Are Fun on the right-hand side of this page and shop online. You too may find an animal book that is just your style!

No comments: