Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Hillary Clinton's Not a Quitter

Let the games begin!

With the Democratic National Convention looming in August, it seems tonight that Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton is not ready to give up the fight, though Senator Barrack Obama has garnered enough delegates to gain the nomination of his party.

I say, “You go, girl.”

Oh, I won’t be voting for her. I’m a Republican and delegate for my precinct. I supported Mitt Romney, truth be told. Even had a short conversation with him at this past weekend’s Colorado Republican Convention as he autographed my credential. A friend snapped the photo (that’s me in the picture, from behind, Romney responding to my questions).

As I listened to Obama’s fiery speech tonight delivered from Minnesota, I understand why many think he is the answer for “change.” He is a dynamic speaker, powerful in his energy, one whose rhetoric almost sounds “new” – as if no one before has suggested the ideas he puts forth. But they are mere words. Can he really run this country? I think not.

I hear the crowds cheering Obama and think of the enthusiasm John F. Kennedy imparted to people in the 1960s. I was an elementary student then, but remember how my parents reacted to his youthfulness and dynamism. Yes, our family cheered when he beat Richard Nixon for the presidency. Obama is not a Kennedy.

Obama is appealing, on the surface. What lies beneath will be revealed in the coming months. He’s a lot of talk, but I wonder what his agenda for this country really is. Young may be good in the eyes of some, but he lacks critical governing experience, in my opinion.

In the meantime, I surprisingly find myself cheering on Clinton and say, no, she should not have given up the race before now. I say she should yet hold on until Denver. She has been gaining on Obama as she’s won recent primary elections, and has more of the popular vote than he does. That surely counts for something. If the Democratic Party ignores those statistics, I’d cry “foul.”

Are the “good old boys” of the Democratic Party threatened by a woman? While I hesitate to raise the issue of her gender, it seems they’ve tried to get rid of her for a long time now. For what reasons?

Whether or not she is Obama’s choice as a running mate is yet to be seen. I’d say it’s what he needs to trounce McCain, if that’s his aim. Likely, he’ll not choose Clinton, not wanting former President Bill Clinton to make it a threesome in the White House.

Therefore, as we get to know what Obama really stands for and what his plan is for the future of the United States and its people, I think most will find he’s too radical and unrealistic, and cast their votes for McCain.

And may the best (wo)man win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!