Saturday, July 15, 2006

Vacation Time


This blog has been silent because I'm swamped with end-of-the season book fairs! We survived inventory count--now it's off to our regional book conference before heading to Mexico for a week! In between, I turn another year older, so that's a reason to take a vacation too. The sand and ocean water beckon. My staff and I have done five different book fairs in the past seven days (some of them 2-day events) and it's time to relax.

My Fabio life-size cardboard cutout turned heads yesterday. For the first time, he stood behind our cash register--an employee and I dressed him in our work apron and stuck a name tag on him. One customer (who wasn't paying close attention) thought he was a person standing there--as she wrote out her check, she struck up a conversation with "him" -- and laughed in amused embarrassment when she looked up and saw what and "who" it was! Much fun!

This week I set up a "Christmas in July" table and was pleasantly surprised to see many customers were ready to buy snowman ornaments, wrapping paper, and other themed items. I've never been one to focus on Christmas in the summer, but I saw this week that many people do. Once August arrives, I'm afraid it won't be long before we think "snow." In this part of the country, it can happen in September. For now, I'm thinking "beach."

Some of the best selling items recently have been:

1) Rachael Ray's "30 Minute Meals," No. 1 & 2
2) Chronicles of Narnia, 19-CD collection
3) Book Tote Bags
4) Handmade greeting card sets
5) Leather portfolio
6) "Amazing Grace" book with CD
7) "Baby's First Bible" with white plush stuffed lamb
8) Betty Crocker's "Bridal Edition" cookbook
9) "Through Indian Eyes"
10) "New Complete Guide to Landscaping"

The list tells me that my buyers want a bit of everything. They have business needs, personal wants, a need for gift items, and they like to work in the garden and cook. That covers just about most of us, I'd say.

This blog will take a short break, unless I can find a computer to connect with while I'm laying under a cabana in the Mexican sun. On second thought, maybe I'll just catch up on some reading and some sleep.

No comments: