Tuesday, June 06, 2006

What Is a Book Fair?

There are county fairs and state fairs, but perhaps some readers wonder, “Just what is a book fair?” If you have young children, you may have been exposed to a similar event at your children’s schools. However, I stage my events in the corporate world. Human Resource departments like book fair events because they are an employee benefit that workers look forward to. It is book shopping brought to the work place. Saves gas, and helps keep employees happy.

From my perspective, the best kind of book fair is one scheduled for two, three or four days at a time. Less set-up and tear-down. Yes, the one-day-ers can be killers, but we manage! I have three part-time employees who work into the mix of those physical tasks of moving carts, setting up tables and assembling attractive displays. It can take about two hours to do a complete set-up (remember, I carry more than 500 titles!), but in the end, it’s worth the time. A full-service, attractive bookstore is right there, in a company’s cafeteria, the lobby of a major hospital, or living room of a nursing home. It’s festive, and a nice change from the daily look staff and clients grow used to.

Employees love the free drawings that are standard at the book fairs. It’s normal to hear, “Now make sure you draw my name,” or “I never win anything” – and to that person’s surprise, when his or her name is drawn, many times it is indeed the first time that person has ever won something – or so they say. Happy to know I allow the winner to choose a free book, it makes that person’s day! It’s also fun for me. Many times the winner will say they’re selecting a book for a sister, son, mother, or friend. Now that’s generosity.

Speaking of generous, one important element of my book fairs is the “rebate.” In being allowed to sell products at a business, the company earns a percentage of my sales. Always. Many times this money is contributed to a charity of the company’s choice, but the funds are also given to employee hardship funds, or will add to the money employees have to stage their yearly Christmas party. I love it because I am happy to contribute to these causes, knowing a portion of the proceeds will be used in positive ways.

All in all, book fairs bring happiness and variety into a day’s routine – and who doesn’t want that as part of a hard day’s work?

No comments: