Monday, May 29, 2006

Recognizing Memorial Day...And My Two Sons

Today I was lucky enough to connect and have lunch with my oldest son, who turns 28 tomorrow, the former "official" Memorial Day date, that being before the government moved most holidays to Mondays. He serves in the US Air Force, and has for 8 years. His younger brother is a member of the US Navy. It being Memorial Day today, I want to thank and honor those who serve our country -- my two sons included. I am proud of them and their choices to devote their lives to the freedom of our nation.

As for book talk, two of the titles I currently have available at my book fairs which recognize our servicemen and military history are these:

1) Absolute Victory--America's Greatest Generation and Their World War II Triumph. It is from the Editors of TIME, with a foreword by George H.W. Bush. The book is a 60th anniversary tribute of V-J Day, and comes with a reprinted Life magazine dated July 2, 1945. Amazingly, the cover cost of the magazine at that time was a mere 10 cents!

2) Soldiers of Freedom, by Kai Wright, is an illustrated history of African Americans in the Armed Forces. It has been a popular seller this past week at the book fairs. The book begins with the Revolutionary War, through Vietnam, the Gulf War, and the ongoing war in Afghanistan. It traces the full history of African Americans' involvement in every branch of the US armed forces.

We are lucky to live in the United States of America.

2 comments:

Queen Jaw Jaw said...

I'm partial to the Navy as my Dad was a Navy man, and saw 13 battles aboard the USS New Orleans.

Please thank you boys for protecting me and my loved ones. I'm sending them silent blessings,

JJ

Pamela Cosel said...

Thank you for your comment, and your father's service.